When it comes to food, knowing which ones will generate acid and which ones will be alkaline in your body is a must.
What is pH?
pH stands for potential of hydrogen.
The scale for pH runs from 0-14 and measures the acidity or alkalinity of a solution and is based on the concentration of hydrogen ions present in that solution.
A positively charged hydrogen ion is acidic (below 7)
A negatively charged ion is alkaline (above 7)
A measurement of 7 indicates a neutral solution, neither acidic nor alkaline.
What is our body’s optimal pH?
The body functions properly (homeostasis) when in a balanced pH range.
Most scientific models have the ideal body pH at 7.4 (slightly alkaline).
The human body must hold a healthy reserve of alkaline to neutralize excess acids and safely remove them from the body. When our reserves are depleted, the body resorts to borrowing alkalines from vital organs, weakening them and leaving the body wide open to disease.
How is body pH regulated?
In the body, there are three kinds of mechanisms to regulate the PH value:
- Blood protein.
- Lungs expel carbon dioxide to prevent the accumulation of carbonate.
- Kidneys help control acid-base by excreting hydrogen ions and generating bicarbonate that helps maintain blood pH within a normal range.
Factors that positively impact pH balance
- Eating plenty of alkaline foods
- Rest and relaxation
- Reducing medications and exposure to toxins
Factors that negatively impact pH balance
- Excessive consumption of acidic foods
- Emotional pressures and blockages
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
- Depriving the body of oxygen and nutrients
Signs of an Acidic Body
- Fatigue, Lethargy
- Weight gain and Obesity
- Skin dryness and wrinkles.
- Pain and Inflammation / Arthritis
- Compromised immune system
- Viruses, Infections, Parasites
- Digestive Issues
- Depression, feelings of anger, negative thought patterns
Benefits of the Right Alkaline/Acid Balance
Knowing which foods generate acid and which ones will be alkaline in your body is a must.
It is suggested to maintain a balance of 70% alkaline foods and 30% acidic foods for disease prevention and optimal health. During a cleanse the focus becomes even more towards alkaline.
- Processed and refined foods
- Dried fruits
- White and wheat breads
- Carbonated water
- Acidic water
- Green leafy vegetables
- Good fats
PS – Do you have specific questions you’d like me to answer about alkaline/acid foods? Comment below, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org Hit reply.
The email and resources are intended as a general nature and do not intend to diagnose, treat or cure any ailment. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition.